Friday, September 25, 2026

RAJNIGANDHA



RAJNIGANDHA 


 " Rajnigandha phool tumhari mehke anuragi man mein..........

This beautiful bollywood classic song explains the beauty of this fragrant Rajnigandha flower and how it strirs heart strings. 

Let's go down to my memory lane. 

I am taking you all today to a beautiful Bengali marriage reception.

My father's close associate, friend, brother what not was he. Our dear Kaku and Kaki Maa.

Our Kaku used to stay in a remote village of Bengal. How he came in contact with Acchan I really don't know as I was a small kid then. My Acchan as I have described to you all before, was  hell bound in helping anyone. And he did so in a graduer manner too. So when our Kaku( Kayal Uncle) was getting married. Acchan arranged his reception in Kolkata and his wedding night in our home. 

Acchan wanted Kaku's wife to be received as a Bahu or Bau Maa in a grand manner and that, she should also see the beauty of the Kolkata city. Thus he arranged everything. Our house was decorated beautifully with lights all over and beautiful flowers malas. The entrance to our building too was very beautifully decorated

I have a very vague picture of all this. I remember, the house bustling with noise and children running around I think people might have come along with the groom and bride. Amma as usual was busy in kitchen and attending guests. 

Now coming to the part of my story.  As a child what I remembered the most is the fully decorated bed for the couple. The bed was decorated beautifully with Rajnigandha flowers nettted beautifully into a cover hanging from the top to bottom as a pardha( curtain) with rose flowers in between propping up. The fragrance of Rajnigandha was mesmerizing.I cannot exactly pen down the beauty. There were small diyaas all over lit up beautifully. And room was smoked with Chandan incense sticks. The room was really beautifully decorated as I have seen in movies  for the newly wedded couple, and I was fascinated by it. I wanted to touch it, wanted to climb on to the bed, I wanted to experience the feel of a new bed cover. But wasn't allowed to even go nearby I was cautioned by Amma every now and then.

A small Pandal too was set up in our terrace for the dinner, I suppose, for I remembered having dinner sitting there on a bench and it being difficult for me to reach the table. 

Now the time to receive the Bau Maa arrived all ladies qued up with Aarti trays blowing conch, and sprinkling rose water and making ululation sounds.  The bride was taken to her decorated room. She (Kaki) was sitting her head covered in beautiful red saree) I could only see gold bangles adorned hands and her alta painted feet. So beautiful it was. Wanted to peek into her face too bit wasn't allowed by the elders. The crowd crowding there was disbursed off and the bride waited for the bride groom.

Next morning I waited eagerly to watch the bride. Kaki was very sweet she called us all children to come near her we all rounded up around her and was quietly watching her beautiful face, her jwellery, her saree so beautiful she was. 

They thanked Acchan for the beautiful arrangements and they still do, till date. They remember it as the best part of their life. 

We siblings had met them three years before in Kolkata what a warm welcome they gave us siblings. The warmth and affection was very heart felt. They miss Acchan a lot and remember him always.

Rajnigandha has always been a favourite of my Acchan. Acchan always used to keep up his commitments  even in his busy schedules. He would be sending a bouquet of Rajnigandha flowers ,on birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc. to his friends and near ones without fail. His small gestures had always spread the fragrance of love and warmth in everyone's heart.

Which is remembered by our family and friends even today. It's been a long twenty two years now since Acchan left for his heavenly abode. But the gesture he showed is swaying and spreading its fragrance like the Rajnigandha flowers.

A vase full of Rajnigandha flowers used to adorn a corner of our hall always.

And it's still our favourite. Some is blooming in my terrace garden.



Pic courtesy: Google images 


No comments:

Latest Addition

RAJNIGANDHA

RAJNIGANDHA   " Rajnigandha phool tumhari mehke anuragi man mein.......... This beautiful bollywood classic song explains the beauty of...